Friday, April 2, 2010

QnA with Argentine Forward Claudio Lopez

The Rapids today signed Argentine forward and two-time World Cup veteran Claudio Lopez. He arrived from Buenos Aires, Argentina this morning and will be at the Rapids game on Saturday.

We've started the process of obtaining his work visa, and we're hopeful that he'll have it soon in order to officially add him to the roster. Ironically, should he be eligible, our next two games after Saturday's are against Kansas City - the team that Lopez played on the past two seasons.

After Lopez took his photos in Rapids' gear, we caught up with him for a quick interview. Below is a translated transcript of the QnA:

On the decision to stay in MLS and join the Rapids...

Claudio Lopez: “In reality I had the intentions of staying one more year, staying in MLS for little while longer. When things didn’t work out in Kansas City, I started looking at my options. The option of coming to Colorado was presented, but then it didn’t work out. So then some time passed, and fortunately the option of coming here was presented and I’m happy to have the chance to play one more year in MLS.”

So will this be your final year...

Lopez: “I’m taking it one year at a time because my age is not the same. Sometimes teams and coaches look for something else, so you have to treat it with patience and try to make things work out.

On adapting to a new team in a league that you are familiar with...

Lopez: “I’m already familiar with the league, and how the league functions. As for changing to a new team, it will take me a little bit of time to adapt to my new teammates, to adapt to the new work asked of by the coach. And from my position, I want to help as much as possible so that things go well for the team.”

On what you can bring to the team...

Lopez: “I try to bring the best I can. Try to, above all else, to help thing really go the way the club wants them to go. And if they don’t, to make the maximum effort to intend to do so. Then, as time goes on, we’ll be able to realize in what areas I could help out more or in what way we can support each other more so that the team gets the end results.

What can a veteran presence bring to a club...

Lopez: “Patience. Patience and above all, a desire to help. To be useful to the teammate next to you; in whatever is necessary at any moment for the club. I think that’s the primary thing.

How have you stayed prepared...

Lopez: “I have been training because I was waiting for another opportunity to be presented. Besides, one always wants to stay in shape, so I’ve been training on my own. I’m sure it will take me some time, but we’ll do it as fast as possible to be ready.

Thoughts on the altitude, if it affected you when you played here; and on the stadium...

Lopez: “No, not really. I think we lost one game, and tied one, one that we were winning. It’s a very nice stadium, very nice playing surface, it’s a nice atmosphere and so I hope to experience it like a local now.

What do you know about the team...

Lopez: “Some things change. The players don’t have the same seasons; they don’t often repeat the same seasons. I expect to find myself with a very good team; I know they have very good individuals, players; and so I hope that things go well for us.”

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: