Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rapids Alumni Players Vermes, Trittschuh Paved Way for Americans Abroad


Good article on ESPN.com today by Jeff Carlisle about how former Rapids defensive players Peter Vermes and Steve Trittschuh broke new ground in the soccer world for American players by becoming some of the first Yanks to ever play for clubs in Europe.

Classic quote from Vermes about starting off for his Hungarian team: "I was taking away someone's livelihood if they signed me, so no one would pass me the ball," said Vermes, then a forward. "I had to go bump a guy on my team off the ball and steal it from him. Then I went on a dribbling spree and took a shot. After that, they started passing it to me."

Tritt on his experience in Prague: "At the beginning, there was a little bit [of resentment]. But I got into the team and contributed to it. Certain guys in training, they would go into you a little bit harder, but for the most part I was part of the team. I would go out with the guys after games, and after training, so they accepted me pretty well."

Read the entire article here.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: