Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The South Africa Blog - Intro

The 2010 FIFA World Cup begins on Friday, June 11, and for the next few weeks, I’ll be hoping to provide a first-hand account of what it’s like in South Africa during the world’s biggest sporting event.

Allow me take a few lines (minutes) to give you a little background on who I am, and why you may want to check out this blog.

My name is German, I’m the Director of Digital Media for the Colorado Rapids and an avid soccer (and sports in general) fan.

I know I’m lucky to have this opportunity to attend a World Cup, my fifth consecutive. I consider myself fortunate to do what I do, and I don’t take it for granted. I appreciate that my job is to help grow soccer. I appreciate that I’m part of a group of professionals that get to continuously look for ways to engage our fans while also looking for ways to grow the base.

If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you’re a Rapids / soccer fan. If not, maybe you’re caught up in the buzz that’s been created as World Cup nears.

I’m hoping that the combination of being a Rapids fan and my experiences traveling the world will allow me to give those of you that are not going to South Africa a picture of what the country and tournament is like through my eyes.

I will be joining six friends and friends of friends in Petroria, South Africa. We have plans to attend all the U.S. group stage games and other games in between.

So, in between watching and searching for online details about the event, come back if you want a different read. Leave comments, ask questions, share with others if you’d like.

The Rapids will be hosting viewing parties for all the matches at a bunch of area bars and restaurants. We hope to see many of you at one of these locations throughout the month.

And if you don’t come back to the blog or can’t meet others at one of the viewing locations, we hope that in one way or another you enjoy the tournament that has the power to unite the world.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Ella said...

So pscyced that everyone's coming to South-Africa! We can't wait to meet everyone!! Get your vuvuzela's ready, South-Africa is waiting!

jack said...

this is a good blog ,it is good for you work in feature.Ray Rice Jersey
Wes Welker Jersey
Rob Gronkowski Jersey